Pulmonary Rehabilitation at Memorial Hospital
Plaza Medical Plaza
175 S. Union Boulevard, Suite 245
Colorado Springs, CO 80909
(map & directions)
Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
For health questions, health classes or help finding a doctor, ask our nurses at HealthLink, 719-444-CARE (2273).
» Search our online health library
Advanced Pulmonary Rehabilitation Services at Memorial Hospital
If you have a pulmonary disease, outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation at Memorial Hospital can help you achieve your highest level of lung functioning. The goal of the professional pulmonary therapists in the program is to optimize your pulmonary health, safety and comfort. Our multidimensional continuum of services is designed to control and alleviate symptoms, optimize functional capacity and improve your quality of life.
Testing pinpoints the exact problem.
The first thing your doctor will need to know in planning your care is the exact condition of your lung function. Pulmonary rehabilitation at Memorial Hospital can perform a variety of tests that will give your doctor the information he or she needs. These tests include:
- Spirometry: a device called the spirometer measures the air flow and air volume in your lungs. You blow forcefully into the spirometer for several seconds, and the readings will help your doctor diagnose your condition and judge the effectiveness of your treatment.
- EKGs and chest x-rays, which are also used for diagnosis and treatment.
- Exercise testing: you are asked to walk while your breathing is monitored by small wires (leads) attached to your body.
- Questionnaires such as the American Thoracic Society shortness of breath scale, which is a questionnaire asking you about your lung function.
» More about: American Thoracic Society shortness of breath scale
Your therapy is tailored to your specific condition.
Pulmonary rehabilitation at Memorial Hospital consists of 24-36 sessions held three times a week with a pulmonary rehabilitation specialist. Classes are 90 minutes long and are held on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Included in these sessions are group functional training classes that focus on helping you learn how to live most effectively with your condition. The sessions cover the following subjects:
- Anatomy, lung diseases and breathing retraining
- Nutrition for people with pulmonary disease
- Pulmonary medications and pulmonary hygiene
- Energy conservation in work, recreation and exercise
- Oxygen therapy and traveling with oxygen
- Stress, coping and relaxation techniques
- Advanced care planning.
The pulmonary rehabilitation staff at Memorial Hospital will fax regular reports to your doctor about your progress in the program.
How will I pay for these services?
Most insurance programs cover pulmonary rehabilitation programs with a physician's order. After you complete the rehabilitation program, you can choose to participate in our self-pay maintenance exercise program, which is offered twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Our staff will call you periodically to check on your exercise program and any further hospitalizations. We'll call three, six and twelve months after you complete the rehabilitation program, and then follow up annually.